Friday 28 November 2014

Black 'muddy' Friday

I hope that you like my new jolly cheerful cover photo? I thought it cheered up my blog on this rather dreary 'Black Friday'.
Did you get caught up in the shopping urge or were you able to resist the strong temptation to spend for the sake of it?
I have to say that despite my desire to remain free from the pressures to shop and spend unnecessarily, the temptation was somehow still there. Every time I looked at the T.V or turned on my computer, the ads burst out of the screen at me......'If you don't spend today.....ooooohhhh your shopping will cost more....SPEND SPEND SPEND' Well, NO! I wasn't having any of it. So what!! I will not be pressured into buying for the sake of it...I shall wait and buy any Christmas gifts that aren't home made, when I am good and ready. Hhhhuuummmmppppphhh!!!

I didn't really have any plans for today other than chilling (quite literally) and snuggling at home. We've had  a busy week doing this that and the other and quite frankly sometimes one just needs to rest! I did feel a little guilty when my dear sister called late morning and I had to admit to my moment of mere existence sipping hot tea whilst rippling way, quite content, with my ripple blanket. It's coming along quite nicely although the worry of how to fold the thing now that I have committed to it being full on 'wonky', is starting to play on my mind. A lesson to be learnt from, my fellow inspired ripplers...undo at the first sign of non conformity!
It is lovely to have moments where you can just do that. So relaxing and good for the soul.

The children seem to be inside most of the time now that the weather has changed. Occasionally they'll bob out for a moment or two to whizz around the green on their bikes but mostly they are content busying themselves within the home. Quite a contrast from that of the Summer months where the door of the house is constantly open and children just seem to flow through en route from the front garden to the back. Now the door remains closed as much as possible, the poor dog has even been shut in it on several occasions as we try to keep the heat in.
Much time is spent in our house crafting. Miss P especially likes making and creating wonderful things. The Little ones aren't so keen on crafting although they do like to create in their own way. We're currently still very much in the throws of the 'den' stage, you know that terribly annoying phase of life that all children go through at some point where by they remove every cushion from every chair and sofa, along with the entire blanket stash along side the small portable furniture....anything from dining chairs, small tables, stools, even lamps! They all end up as part of the construction of what can only be described as 'a mass shamble' that generally takes over an entire room making it near on impossible to move through or around it.
Can anyone else relate to this?


Mostly they hijack the sitting room but just occasionally they relocate into the kitchen area....that causes the most havoc. Those moments when you have to bottom shuffle along the worktops to retrieve things from the opposite side of the kitchen to which you have almost become confined. Oh the joys!!! Then is the arduous task of trying to encourage the little beavers to tidy away....hmmmm, still working on perfecting that!!

We may well have stayed at home all day today had some lovely friends not suggested that we potter off for a little stroll and make the most of the tiny window of clear weather. We've recently started a Scouting Explorers group to enable our teenagers to complete their Duke of Edinburgh awards. As they need to be able to effectively read and follow a map and work out compass bearings, a stroll in the country seemed the perfect excuse to check out our own skills. Of course, on the theme of 'Black Friday' a certain member of MY family unit decided to create his own 'Black Friday'...well brown,....unfortunately for the poor dog she also got caught up in the excitement. It's really quite amazing how a huge jump in a muddy puddle causes an instant surge from the base of all the thick sludge which in turn rotates within the water and seems to quite literally erupt from the depths of its core and cover everyone within a five metre radius...funny that!!
I'm always amazed at how children seem to naturally gravitate towards anything remotely messy. I used to bubble inside with anxiety as they moved towards such delights but now, many years into my parenting journey, I have learnt to just go with the flow and let things wash over me (sometimes in a literal sense). If we go out and end up with a child soaking wet or covered from head to foot in mud or dung...so be it. Thank goodness for washing machines is all I can say :-)






Anyone else like these little babies?

They look a lot like Pink Fir Apple potatoes....
If you haven't come across them before these little knobbly treasures are in fact Jerusalem artichokes. They are really easy to grown and produce a prolific crop. We bought these tasty specimens from the wonderful weekly farmers market in Stroud in Gloucestershire. It's a fab little event that meanders all the way up the quaint little high street. What's great about this market is firstly the vast array of superb stalls (all manned by the growers and producers themselves) and secondly the fact that there is no exclusive feel to the place. The produce is realistically priced and affordable and the sellers are enthusiastic and keen to talk to you. It gives you a real sense of connection.
Anyway back to the artichokes.......in our house we love the little darlings. They can be chopped and popped into salads, I guess they could be fried up in a stir fry or boiled into a stew, but in our home they are most commonly destined for the pot to make soup. 'Windy bottom soup'.



I cannot imagine what the seller thought when the children shared their intentions with her, although I could see that she knew where we were coming from. They do come with a health warning as they cause flatulence of the worst kind. BE WARNED!!
On that note....have a lovely weekend :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment