Wednesday 28 May 2014

Children make the world go around

I was awoken yesterday morning by the sound of the phone ringing...of course I jumped out of bed and ran to the stairs (as it's usually for me) but no....this time what I heard was The Little Lady chatting away. 'Is it for me?' I yelled down...'No Mum, just making a business call'.....Oh!!!!!...Business call? It was only 8.30am and The Little Lady is only 9!
I stumble back to my room a little taken back that the call was not for me...hmmmmm
It wasn't long before it emerged that The Little Lady had indeed decided that day that she was going to embark on an instant money making venture and somehow she had also involved her friend....and before I knew it plans are made and the day organised but not by me, by her......'Oh, well I'll just clean the house then shall I and be your taxi service for the day?'

Well, the business was cushion making. She had obviously been planning her little venture secretly for the past couple of days as she asked the lovely lady I sew for for some fabric scraps and came back with a little stash that she busily ironed, cut and stitched into little pillows, using MY sewing machine may I add (no work today then for me...well not of the usual kind!)

The plan for the sale was to take the little cushions to our local home ed group and to set up a mini stall...which the girls did. Not sure that they made much money but I was impressed by the process and the pattern of thought.

 
Table scenes (in fact scenes anywhere and everywhere) are common sights in our house.

 
Temporary sculpture built using unconventional building bricks.

In daily life my children witness me first hand trying to make a living sewing and at present selling shoes and whatever other opportunities come our way. They see the trials and tribulations involved in creating the product, advertising and then selling it. They are directly involved in being part of the team, the work force. Recently a friend of ours who has been home educated started school. One of the projects she has been set is to create a business with £5. Miss P was very inspired by the idea and then I pointed out all the business ventures she has witnessed and the projects she has created for herself. Being at home doesn't limit such experiences, in fact, the mere fact that you do have more time, gives rise to such opportunities.

 
A collection of friendship bands handcrafted and ready to sell.


This afternoon Small Boy has been busy. I didn't pay much attention when her changed into his red overalls and a cap. I did notice when he came in covered in oil asking me to come and look at his new creation. A few weeks ago he dug an oval shaped piece of metal out of the skip (that skip again). He has spent much time out in the garden hammering the metal into shape, a shape which he has been telling me is like a tractor seat and indeed it was. Today in farmer-mode he turned his little toy tractor (partially) into a real tractor, he'd even found an old can of oil to keep things lubricated and some paint to paint the tyre (and the gravel on the path). That boy is always creating and 'mucking on'.

 
He just needs another wheel......


Giving the children the freedom to live their lives as they choose, to a certain extent, provides wonderful lessons and life skills. They are not controlled or governed by bells and the need to rush things, they are not forced to do projects that are not of interest to them. I watch them from a distance flourish and grow individually everyday and marvel at the creations and ideas that come into being. These are real ideas that come about through genuine innate inspiration. Ideas that they become passionate about and work on until they achieve their desired outcome. I treasure these moments and look forwards to seeing where their journey's take them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment