Sunday 23 January 2011

Women who run with the wolves

"We are all filled with a longing for the wild. There are few culturally sanctioned antidotes for this yearning. We were taught to feel shame for such a desire. We grew our hair long and used it to hide our feelings. But the shadow of Wild Woman still lurks behind us during our days and our nights. No matter where we are, the shadow that trots behind us is definitely four-footed".
                                                               Clarissa Pinkola Estes 'Women who run with the wolves'

So that sums me up. I (as we all do) have a definite wild side, a side that is not and will not become domesticated by the rigours and socially accepted norms of modern life. I realise that the true spirit of myself does not conform and why should it? I am alive and living life to the full.
For years I felt a bit of an outcast for being a little different, for having different views and values to what seemed, the rest of the world. But in recent years I have come to realise that that is who I am and should be celebrated. Let the party begin...........
So if you see me cartwheeling in the street or looking in amazement at the blossom on a tree accept it, that's me!

2 comments:

  1. ahh thats lovely, I'm proud that I am not a 'clone' and always tell Niamh its good to be different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your ethos, and totally agree with it...kindred spirit I might dare to say :P

    ReplyDelete